Monday, May 5, 2008

Sweet memories

I had to go back and show you some more pictures of Connecticut and things that I did while I was there. The first is a picture of 2 of my closest friends in the world, yes one is my sister and the other my roommate from high school. I adore their friendship so much and I thank God for the influence they have been in my life. Though they live way too far away, I know we can pick up where we left off. Okay, I must move on before I get teary-eyed.

While in CT, we went for a hike to find this tower that Kjirsti and I had seen from a distance. Who knew that this would be one of the most memorable hikes I have ever taken. A couple things make this so memorable. One is that it was March and in CT, that is still quite cold, particularly that day because it was windy. Wind just makes every thing colder. We (Kjirsti, Stacy, Kari and I) started hiking with my nephew and 2 neices in a stroller. This was not just your easy-going hike and to add on top of that, we were taking turns pushing the stroller up the mountain, which it basically was. And, to add on top of that, there was still snow/slush/ice on the trail. We definitely got our work out that day. We finally got to where the ground leveled out and it seemed like we were at the top. There was a beautiful view of the surrounding area so I was expecting to see the tower that we were looking for. Well, it couldn't even be seen through the trees so we kept following the trail. And following, and following and following. Meanwhile, let me remind you it was still cold but we pushed onward. We finally saw the tower through the trees and eventually got to the top to find out that the tower was closed for the winter. It was still a beautiful tower, though I'm not exactly sure it's purpose. At the top, it was even colder because there were fewer trees to break the wind. Needless to say, we didn't stay very long at the top.

On the way back, we were getting concerned about the girls being cold so we came up with a sceme. Kari and I had on decent sized jackets. Inside each of our coats, we each zipped one of the twins and then tied a blanket underneath to help with the weight. It seems kind of silly now that I describe it but it worked really well. So walking down the mountain I walked a little slower because I was carrying precious cargo and I did not want to fall. As I walked down the mountain, with Clara in my jacket, I prayed for her. Clara is my goddaughter and it was a joy to bring this wonderful girl before God, knowing that her life is in His gracious and loving hands. I think it is also the day where I started to understand my role as a godparent.I will always remember that time with Clara and God. Though it was a relief to finally get back to the bottom of that mountain, I will always look back on that hike as a very sweet memory.




4 comments:

Kari, RN said...

What a really beautiful story! I'm glad you had such a wonderful hike, even though it was hard, cold, and longer than you were expecting! :) Isn't being a godmother an amazing thing?!

Dana said...

Thanks so much for your updates, Ronda! Love you and can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!!!!!
Dana

Nilsens said...

I have something to add...Clara actually fell asleep and was asleep in the picture! :) Cute! I think it was fun the day we did it but now looking back I think we were crazy to have not turned around. What were we thinking? :)

Tami said...

This is such a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome reminder of that relationship we can have with the little ones as we place them before God.